Kisumu County Malaria Coordinator Lilyana Dayo has called on residents to take precaution in preventing malaria prevalence following an upsurge of cases due to the rainy season experienced in the months of April, May June and July.
The malaria coordinator also encouraged residents to visit health facilities for tests and treatment adding that adequate antimalarial drugs are currently available in all the county health facilities.
Dayo also urged residents to take personal protection measures such as:
- Use of treated mosquito bed nets and
- Mosquito control measures including clearing bushes surrounding houses,
- Closing windows as early as 6.00 pm,
- Disposal and destruction of empty containers that can act as harbours for mosquitoes, and
- Other necessary primary health care measures to curtail spread of mosquitoes and malaria.
Kisumu being a malaria endemic area, most residents are exposed to it, therefore, the County health department is taking all intervention measures to make sure cases are successfully controlled.