The Kisumu Youth Awards competition finally came to its end last night at the Victoria Comfort Inn. The gala event was invitation only, having been organized by a consortium of various organizations working with the youth in the great city of Kisumu.
Five categories were in contention, to showcase who is the best in matters youth activism in the areas of violence against women and young girls, which was the theme of this year’s contest, as indicated by the Kisumu Youth Awards convener, Brian Magwaro.
Also, there were other special categories recognizing the efforts various leaders for what they have been doing in the society to better the lives of women and young girls from gender-based violence.
The winners were:
- Male Young Leader of the Year 2018 – Ronnie Otieno of Child Ambassadors
- Female Young Leader of the Year 2018 – Hyral Matete of Angels of Sunset
- Safe Space Champion of the Year 2018 – Mercy Akinyi Odondo of Gender Dialogues Kenya
- Media Personality of the Year 2018 – Tracy Obimo of Tracey Writes
- Health Champion of the Year 2018 – Winnie Anyango of Wing It Up Kenya
All the nominees who participated in the competition were also awarded certificates of appreciation for the good works they are doing in their communities.
The special award categories went to three women who have taken bold steps in the fight against violence on women and girls.leaders
- Aluoch Oito – a PR practitioner, and also an investigative journalist focusing mostly on violence against women and girls
- Betty Okero of CSO Network, and
- Easter Achieng of KEFEADO
Congratulations to all the winners. let’s keep the fire burning.