DW Akademie Alumni – Lakeside Media Expo 2018
Overcoming fake news, corruption and financial insecurity.
Last week Friday and Saturday was a networking meeting for the DW Akademie Alumni from Western Kenya, converging here in Kisumu. The event – the Lakeside Media Expo, held at the Tom Mboya Labor College, brought in participation of the various media houses, traditional, online, and even some really young and just starting up. It was a good day also to catch up with the various friends from the many industries and learn of new journalism opportunities in the market.
The Lakeside Media Expo 2018 offered panel discussions, workshops and information stands, and provided an opportunity for media professionals to network and exchange ideas and experiences. The focus for the 2018 expo was: The role of free-independent media in Kenya in times of disinformation, hate speech, corruption and economic challenges.
What pioneering role the major national media play in overcoming these problems and to what extent can smaller local media houses contribute to solutions?
The event, was officially opened by the Kisumu County Governor – Prof Anyang’ Nyong’o, and was also presided over by the new Ambassador, the Federal Republic of Germany Annett Günther, who gave a ceremonial address on her first official event since her installation in the country last month.
Governor Nyong’o decried the state of the media in Kenya, and urged them to protect the society against bigotry and misinformed. He even made reference to the “Common Mans Charter” made famous during his stint at the Makerere University that “Inform the misinformed and guide the misguided”. He said, this should be the hallmark of reputable media channels world over. Thus, no one has the right to abuse anyone and misinform the public. Hence, no investigation, no right to speak! There is responsibility with information and that it has to be factual, raise issues of principles and must be founded on truth.
On social media, he said that it is the duty of the media to safeguard the society and end bigotry found in the online platforms.
He also talked about liberation of the media industry in Kenya, and thus dealt a blow to state capture.
The DW Akademie Country Coordinator Kenya – Jutta vom Hofe, said that, single media houses are small and weak but with a common front or together, they are strong and have a better bargaining power.
DW Akademie has reached at least 1,000 media practitioners in Kenya, held over 200 meetings, trainings, workshops, seminars and will soon again host another workshop in Kisumu with the media focused on online content creation.
The two-day event also discussed new digital trends including open data, digital security and online bullying, blogging sessions, drone journalism and new business models for journalist.
These below were the panel sessions in the two-day workshop.
- The media and the 3D’s – Devolution, Development and Democratization
- Telling stories using open data
- What is the place of public service in Kenya?
- What to do about Fake News
- Media and Devolution – devolving media in Kenya
- Sustainability of independent journalism in the age of digital disruption
- Digital safety of women
- New business models for professional journalism in Kenya
- Gender and Media
- Should public advertising be regulated
- Drone journalism – an innovative and exciting way to tell stories
Some of the institutions that participated were:
- County Government of Kisumu
- County Government of Kakamega
- Transparency International, TI
- Lake Region Economic Block, LREB
- Civil Society Organizations Network, CSO Network
- Code for Kenya
- Code for Africa
- Royal Media Services
- Nation Media Group
- CHAMS Media
- Business Daily
- Standard Group
- Daystar University
- Maseno University
- KCA University
- Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology
- The University of Nairobi
- Strathmore Business School
- Association of Media Women in Kenya, AMWIK
- Kenya Union of Journalists, KUJ
- Transform Empowerment for Action Initiative, TEAM
- ARTICLE 19 Eastern Africa
- The Conversation Africa
- Kenya Audience Research Foundation, KARF
- Bloggers Association of Kenya, BAKE
- Africa Check
- Pesa Check
- Africa Drone
- Radio Amani, Nakuru
- Nyota TV and Radio, Bungoma
- Radio Lake Victoria
- Radio Nam Lolwe
- Sky FM
- Brand TV
- MMUST FM
- Radio Mambo, Webuye
- Upendo FM, Eldoret
- Ken TV
- RoGG Kenya
The 2019 Lakeside Media Expo will be held on October 11-12.