Business Daily Africa, a Nation Media Group publication earlier today released it’s much awaited list of the year Top 40 Under 40 Women leaders who have strengthed the fabric of society in their respective fields of specialization.
In coming up with a the Top 40 List, Business Daily ascertained each candidate’s age, and interrogated as far as possible, data on the size of the enterprises they have founded, companies they work for (turnover or number of employees), the scope and complexity of what they do and the competitive landscape in each segment of the economy.
In the list, is Carol Odera a young, ambitious, industrious and entrepreneurial woman, who is currently the Executive Director of Women in Sustainable Enterprise (WISE) and also a Managing Partner at Winam Capital – a venture capital firm committed to support SMEs raise investment capital for their business ventures around Lake Victoria region.
For those who don’t know Carol, this is her short decorated bio
- Carol previously worked at Eco Finder Kenya – an environmental conservation organization, that led to the development or the now famous Dunga Board Walk.
- She is a biodiversity champion, and thus involved in the protection of such environmental zones.
- While working at Dunga beach, she also helped found Lake Victoria Tour Guides Association. As we speak, there are trained local tour guides in Kisumu who are able to showcase the various tourist attractions along Lake Victoria. Before this, there were none.
- Through WISE, she has managed to impact the lives of Women in and around Kisumu, through income generating activities and trainings. Actually in Dunga, there’s currently in operation a Cyber Cafe for women in the village. At the cyber cafe women learn basic ICT skills for communicating, marketing & networking. They come here to learn on new technologies and do research on their projects/activities. There also is a restaurant run by WISE women to promote ecotourism.
- At Winam Capital, she continues to impact the lives of women by trainings, talk shows. Early in the year, she brought women leaders in Kisumu for the celebration of International Mother’s Day. Women from various industries joined in.
- Apart from raising investment capital for SMEs, she hosts a weekly chat show via Facebook called Business Live Chats, #BusinessFridays with her business partner Philip Odino.
- Carol is also a Mandela Washington Fellow of Young African leaders. And through this, she continues to impact lives of young girls in schools on leadership and governance, encouraging them to take up leadership roles at whatever level t stage in life they’re at.
At this young age, I bet she surely deserves the nomination as a Top 40 Under 40 Woman leader.
Former Kisumu Girls Students are KShs 2.5 Million Richer!
After successfully representing Kenya and the City of Kisumu in the global Technovation Challenge 2017, the five former Kisumu Girls students last week received a coveted African of the Year Award worth USD 25,000, KShs 2,500,000 in local value, run by the Daily Trust Magazine in Nigeria. (more…)
Young Leaders in Kisumu Awarded Last Night
The Kisumu Youth Awards competition finally came to its end last night at the Victoria Comfort Inn. The gala event was invitation only, having been organized by a consortium of various organizations working with the youth in the great city of Kisumu.
Five categories were in contention, to showcase who is the best in matters youth activism in the areas of violence against women and young girls, which was the theme of this year’s contest, as indicated by the Kisumu Youth Awards convener, Brian Magwaro.
Also, there were other special categories recognizing the efforts various leaders for what they have been doing in the society to better the lives of women and young girls from gender-based violence.
The winners were:
- Male Young Leader of the Year 2018 – Ronnie Otieno of Child Ambassadors
- Female Young Leader of the Year 2018 – Hyral Matete of Angels of Sunset
- Safe Space Champion of the Year 2018 – Mercy Akinyi Odondo of Gender Dialogues Kenya
- Media Personality of the Year 2018 – Tracy Obimo of Tracey Writes
- Health Champion of the Year 2018 – Winnie Anyango of Wing It Up Kenya
All the nominees who participated in the competition were also awarded certificates of appreciation for the good works they are doing in their communities.
The special award categories went to three women who have taken bold steps in the fight against violence on women and girls.leaders
- Aluoch Oito – a PR practitioner, and also an investigative journalist focusing mostly on violence against women and girls
- Betty Okero of CSO Network, and
- Easter Achieng of KEFEADO
Congratulations to all the winners. let’s keep the fire burning.
Pure Elegance as Enthusiasts Turn Up for Kisumu Fashion Week 2018
Tempting: The 7th Edition of Kisumu Fashion Week – December 15, 2018
Monarchy Rising: Kisumu’s Second Queen Crowned
Miss Kisumu City 2018 Gala Night this Weekend
Kisumu County Govt to Sponsor Kisumu’s Little Miss Kenya Representative to Greece
Kisumu Plus Size Fashion Affair – Season Two
Movies3 days ago
Avengers: Endgame – Premieres April 26 2019
Business4 days ago
MOWGLI: Imarisha Mentoring Program Recruiting Mentors & Entrepreneurs in Kisumu
Arts4 days ago
Art Festival at the Hill this Easter Holidays
Events1 year ago
Weekend in Kisumu? Eight Things You Could Do in 24 Hours
Society4 years ago
Kisumu: Kondele – A Sex “Den” in the City?
Tourism3 weeks ago
Western Kenya Trip to Showcase its Beauty and Splendor Kicks-Off Today
Smartphones1 week ago
OPPO to Launch OPPO F11 Pro with Ultra Night Mode in Low Light
Arts2 weeks ago
East Africa’s Got Talent TV show Launches in Nairobi