Kisumu’s Carol Odera is Top 40 Under 40 2018 Woman Leader Nominee
Carol is a Managing Partner at Winam Capital
Business Daily Africa, a Nation Media Group publication earlier today released it’s much awaited list of the year Top 40 Under 40 Women leaders who have strengthed the fabric of society in their respective fields of specialization.
In coming up with a the Top 40 List, Business Daily ascertained each candidate’s age, and interrogated as far as possible, data on the size of the enterprises they have founded, companies they work for (turnover or number of employees), the scope and complexity of what they do and the competitive landscape in each segment of the economy.
In the list, is Carol Odera a young, ambitious, industrious and entrepreneurial woman, who is currently the Executive Director of Women in Sustainable Enterprise (WISE) and also a Managing Partner at Winam Capital – a venture capital firm committed to support SMEs raise investment capital for their business ventures around Lake Victoria region.
For those who don’t know Carol, this is her short decorated bio
- Carol previously worked at Eco Finder Kenya – an environmental conservation organization, that led to the development or the now famous Dunga Board Walk.
- She is a biodiversity champion, and thus involved in the protection of such environmental zones.
- While working at Dunga beach, she also helped found Lake Victoria Tour Guides Association. As we speak, there are trained local tour guides in Kisumu who are able to showcase the various tourist attractions along Lake Victoria. Before this, there were none.
- Through WISE, she has managed to impact the lives of Women in and around Kisumu, through income generating activities and trainings. Actually in Dunga, there’s currently in operation a Cyber Cafe for women in the village. At the cyber cafe women learn basic ICT skills for communicating, marketing & networking. They come here to learn on new technologies and do research on their projects/activities. There also is a restaurant run by WISE women to promote ecotourism.
- At Winam Capital, she continues to impact the lives of women by trainings, talk shows. Early in the year, she brought women leaders in Kisumu for the celebration of International Mother’s Day. Women from various industries joined in.
- Apart from raising investment capital for SMEs, she hosts a weekly chat show via Facebook called Business Live Chats, #BusinessFridays with her business partner Philip Odino.
- Carol is also a Mandela Washington Fellow of Young African leaders. And through this, she continues to impact lives of young girls in schools on leadership and governance, encouraging them to take up leadership roles at whatever level t stage in life they’re at.
At this young age, I bet she surely deserves the nomination as a Top 40 Under 40 Woman leader.