WE, the undersigned and humble petitioners being the practitioners of Arts and Culture within Kisumu County, draw the attention of the office of the Governor to the following matters:
- That the budgetary allocation estimates for the Kisumu County Budget 2016/2017 was not in tandem with the needs and expectations of the artists from Kisumu county.
- The proposed allocation of Kenya Shillings six million only (Kshs. 6,000,000) as reflected in the proposed budget 2016/2017 for the construction of a perimeter wall at Kanyakwar Cultural Centre is a noble idea but seriously insufficient to the financial needs of our ailing industry and also not an immediate PRIORITY for the advancement of the County’s Creative economy.
- Six years after the promulgation of the new constitution, in which Art and Culture was devolved; the office of the governor directly or through the line ministries continues to treat art and culture as a pastime activity and not as an industry with a potential to boost the creative economy.
- That in the County Fiscal Strategy Papers and budgets 2014/2015 and 2015/2016, millions of shillings were allocated for talent development but the impacts analysis and feedback on the ground does not match the financial input allocations that were made in the aforesaid budgets
- Major proposal infrastructures in which art and culture practitioners are the primary users are passed without the artists consultations or/and participation. This include the renovation of Kisumu Social Center through the Kisumu Urban Project and other community social centers
WE THEREFORE DEMAND THAT:
- The proposed budgetary allocation for the year 2016/2017 be increased to Kenya Shillings Thirty million ( Kshs 30 000 000) and the planned construction of a Kenya shillings six million (6,000,000) perimeter wall be revised and the vote head switched to renovating and equipping part of Rotary Youth College into a functioning Art and Culture School
- The 2016/2017 budget allocation establishes an annual County Arts and Culture Revolving Fund of Kenya shillings Ten Million (Kshs 10 000 000) to support talent development and productions.
- The executive with immediate effect reconstitutes all the management boards/committees of all the social centers in the county to include at least two representatives of Art and culture practitioners in every centre.
- The executive establishes a Kisumu County Cultural Festival that is exclusively organized and run in consultation with Kisumu Art and Culture Practitioners.
- All county events to include Art and Culture.
Therefore your humble petitioners pray that the office of the Governor duly, diligently and forthwith respond to the matters raised in this petition, time being of essence and in particular give reply to each and every matter before the 10th of May, 2016 and your petitioners will ever pray.